April 23, 2014

Operation Moving In

We have begun "operation moving in" and it is not as thrilling as I imagined it would be.  It is exhausting, overwhelming and terrifying.  I realize we are fortunate to have a roof over our heads and sleep in warm beds, however, moving into an unfinished house lacking all amenities we are accustomed to is a big test for a person's mental health.  I had to giggle today when one of the children at our Bricks 4 Kidz(r) camp told me that I look really tired and stressed.  I guess it's very obvious what a toll this process is having on me. 


On the weekend we unloaded our trailer of furniture, set up beds, installed a closet organizer, tiled bathroom floor, installed smoke detectors, cleaned windows and moved all the furniture out of our rental.  It felt wonderful to recycle the mattress bags that have been used for four moves!


Our temporary kitchen consists of a crock pot (and for those of you who know me I do not enjoy crock pot cooking), a coffee maker, a dresser for a pantry, a laundry tub sink and a mini bar fridge.  The washer and dryer are not hooked up so I will be frequenting the Laundromat in the city.  There is no hot water and there are no operating sinks (come on plumber...show up and do the job you were supposed to have finished last week!).  The boys and I will sleep at the house on Sunday night for the first time and thankfully the toilet in the basement works (whew!).


It has been raining all day, the wind is about 80 km per hour and it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow.  I imagine I won't be able to park within fifty feet of the house tomorrow due to mucky mud so I will continue doing what I can do! 


No comments:

Post a Comment